Partial Hospitalization Program
Working forward together to maintain sobriety
Our mission is to reduce the impact of substance use and psychiatric disorders for individuals, families and communities in Virginia. River City utilizes a “Recovery Oriented Systems of Care” approach to provide a high level of assessment, treatment, and care coordination for each patient in our services.
ASAM Level 2.5 Partial Hospitalization Program is structured application of skilled treatment services for adults. PHP service delivery requires a minimum of five hours per day, five days a week, for a total of 20 hours per week.
Our Structured Outpatient Setting Includes:
Group Process Therapy
Family Support Group
Creative Arts Therapy
Yoga and Exercise
Paying For This Service
This service is paid for by a participant’s Medicaid insurance. Please call our office at 804.230.0999 for more information.
Guidelines For Admission
Individuals must meet all of the following criteria:
Persistent or increasing symptoms in the last 30-90days associated with their primary DSM disorder that have contributed to:
Decreased functioning in home, school, occupational or community settings
Led to negative consequences and difficulties maintaining supportive, sustaining relationships with identified family and peers
Interventions at lower levels of care or alternative, community‐based services have been attempted but have been unsuccessful at addressing the symptoms and supporting recovery to baseline levels of functional capacity
Risk for admission to hospital or residential crisis stabilization:
Acute intensification of symptoms BUT no immediate danger to self or others
Does not require 24 hours treatment or medical supervision
Stepping down from inpatient hospitalization, residential crisis stabilization, or partial hospitalization and is no longer at immediate risk to self or others nor requires 24‐ hour treatment or medical supervision
The individual has a community‐based network of natural supports who are able to ensure individual’s safety outside the treatment program hours and a safety plan has been established
The individual requires access to an intensive structured treatment program with an onsite multidisciplinary team
The individual can reliably attend, and actively participate in, all phases of the treatment program
The individual has demonstrated willingness to recover in the structure of an ambulatory treatment program.
Substance Use Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) Service Goals:
1. Increased personal insight to co-occurring symptoms, addictive thought and behavioral patterns;
2. Increased knowledge of the bio-psycho-social-spiritual addiction disease model;
3. Self-awareness to patterns of emotional, mental, physical signs and stages of the relapse process;
4. Enhanced motivation and commitment to pursuit of life-long recovery;
5. Ability to maintain extended periods of abstinence;
6. Improved co-occurring coping and relapse prevention skills to include a written relapse plan;
7. Improved interpersonal relationships through positive and assertive communication skills;
8. Development of a community support system conducive to long-term recovery; and
9. Strong community re-integration plan with stable employment, and/or vocational rehabilitation supports.